City of Commerce City Fleet Technician in Commerce City, Colorado
The Fleet Technician maintains, repairs, and rebuilds heavy and light duty equipment to meet various City needs.
The full salary for this position is: $45,102 - $67,653 per year.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs major and minor maintenance and repairs on gasoline and diesel engines, differentials, and driveline units
- Performs maintenance and repair on brake systems, suspension systems, cooling systems, fuel systems, electrical systems, air systems, hydraulic systems, water systems, heavy gear trains, and pumps
- Maintain small equipment to include mowers, chain saws, string trimmers as well as other 2 and 4 cycle engines.
- Maintain and repair heavy equipment to include graders, loaders, and backhoes.
- Maintains necessary paperwork in computer files
- Attends workshops and training either in person or via computer to stay current on developing technology
- Performs fabrication of equipment and accessory components of equipment
- Tests equipment to assure proper functioning and accuracy
- Performs a wide variety of mechanic work in the field or in the shop
- Performs welding as needed
- Repairs and/or adjusts clutches and pumps on vehicles and equipment such as sanders and plows
- Schedules work and schedules sublets and warranty work with outside vendors
- Checks and repairs both factory-installed and aftermarket lights, tires, ignition or suspension systems on vehicles and equipment
- Listens effectively to what the customer is trying to relay about a problem or situation
- Speaks clearly and concisely to reach an understanding and/or solution to the problem
- Provides answers and feedback in a timely manner
- All employees must model and demonstrate the City Values at all times during the course of employment; to include: Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Respect, and Excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned
High School diploma or GED, plus additional coursework pertaining to auto mechanics and heavy equipment repair are required. At least three years of experience in auto mechanics and heavy equipment repair is required. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered. Must possess a valid Colorado driver license. Must possess a Class B Commercial Driver License or obtain within six months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid knowledge of tools, equipment, materials, and procedures used to perform maintenance and repair work on small engine equipment, cars, trucks, and heavy and light equipment
- Solid knowledge of repair and maintenance to gasoline, diesel, and electric motors and engines
- Solid knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to this job
- General knowledge of operating a computer in a Windows-based environment
- Skill in the use of welding and cutting torches to repair and/or fabricate parts
- Skill in the operation of machinery or equipment that needs repair or maintenance
- Ability to read, understand, and complete written request and work assignments
- Ability to work cooperatively with other employees and the public
- Ability to complete daily activities within assigned timeframe
- Ability to perform on-call duties as assigned
- Ability to perform the duties of the position without direct supervision
Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
- *Driving: *Drives a city or personal vehicle in the normal course of business
- Office Equipment: Daily use of computer, keyboard, tablet, copier, scanner, printer, calculator, phone (desk and cell). Daily use of software programs including Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Other Equipment: Ability to operate automobiles, pickup trucks, tandem trucks, graders, loaders, backhoes, highway mowers, riding mowers, brake lathe, tire changer and balancer, bearing press, hoist, welder, air tool, grinder, floor scrubber, pressure washer, band saw, drill press, water pump, generator
- Physical Activities: High physical activity that may include walking, sitting, standing, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying
- Lifting: Frequently lifts, carries, and exerts up to 100 pounds.
- *Vision and Hearing: *Must have visual acuity to see and read paper and electronic documents. Must be able to answer telephones, communicate conversation and respond to verbal inquires. Must be able to recognize sound in fleet shop that indicates nearby equipment and/or safety hazards
- *Exposure to Environmental Conditions: *Will be exposed to extreme heat, cold, dry, wet, odors, smoke, loud noises, vibrations, dust or intense light. Exposure to chemicals including cleaners, solvents, paints, and other toxic agents.
- *Schedule: *Position generally scheduled Monday - Friday; occasionally weekend work; will be required for on-call duty
- Additional Working Conditions: May be exposed to work settings that vary in convenience and comfort
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications. Employees are accountable for all duties associated with this position.
Salary: $45,094.40 - $56,368.00 Annually
Location: Commerce City, CO
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Public Works
Job Number: 2020-00095
Agency: City of Commerce City
Address: 7887 E. 60th Avenue Commerce City, Colorado, 80022